Friday 17 June 2011

Linguistic ephiphanies

It was a couple of weeks ago that a little subjunctive first slipped out – it was ‘aille’, I think – and now Wilf is using these weird little constructions both accurately and with abandon.  I know there’s nothing surprising about hearing a subjunctive on the streets of Paris, but to hear one coming from a boy called Wilf...  That’s quite something.

This was a boy who’d been imbibing French since he was born but who had no intention whatsoever of speaking it.  I knew there must be a little French boy in there somewhere, courtesy of my side of the family, but it was clear the little Lewes boy wasn’t in any hurry to let him out.   And I had visions of slogging it out – me speaking French to him, him speaking English to me – forever, or at least until it was time for him to leave home, and it didn’t look like fun.  So I thought I’d up sticks and fix him right away.

So here I am, fixing him and doing a bit of a spit and polish on myself at the same time.  The linguistic epiphanies – only registered as such by me, of course – are coming thick and fast now, and the subjunctives are just part of an altogether different kind of a Wilf.   Along with the subjunctive, there’s the rolling ‘r’, strange words I didn’t know he knew, and idioms which have no place in a four-year-old boy.  But, to my ears, even when he sounds like a disillusioned French adolescent, it’s progress.  And he seems to like this new self, too.

As one would expect of a spit and polish, the change in me isn’t quite so immediately impressive.  And there’s something about being forty-something which means that progression doesn’t come in such big strides.  But now I know the French for words like ‘app’ and ‘download’, and I’m just that little bit shinier than I was before.

2 comments:

  1. This so makes me want to hear Wilf.. and what are the french words for app and download?

    ReplyDelete
  2. App is 'appli' and download is 'télécharger'. Very good to see that they haven't simply adopted the English words.

    ReplyDelete